828 probs

As you may well know from my post the other day, I picked up a MOTU 828 MkII USB2.0.  Now usually, after everything I've read about Firewire vs USB2, I'd have gone with the Firewire unit, but the price was too good to turn down, so I thought I'd take a gamble.  It was most certainly that for a while.

First of all, I had trouble getting rid of the M-Audio drivers still on the studio comp and I had a feeling that perhaps they were interfering with things and may have been the cause of the sound just cutting out completely from the MOTU.  This wasn't the case.  I then found out that you need XP SP3 minimum to run the 828 on.  I had XP SP2 still on my studio machine - if it ain't broke etc.

In the end, I took the leap of faith and went to Windows 7, but the problem still persisted.  I'd get around about 8 mins max from the MOTU before the sound just dropped out completely and I had no idea what was causing it.  After researching similar problems, I tried isolating the unit on the USB2 hub on my comp with nothing else attached, as this seemed to be a solution for some people.  Nope.  Didn't work.  I then installed the drivers on my net machine, which still has XP SP3 on and the MOTU had no problems at all.  Weird.  Both my machines have VIA chipset USB, which is what MOTU recommends for use with the 828, but for somehow the studio comp just didn't want to know.

So anyway, to cut a long story short, I ended up grabbing a Dynex DX-2C2P 2 port USB2.0 PCI card, installing it on the studio comp, making sure there was no IRQ sharing/conflict issues and now the MOTU is running fine.  I figured I'd post this up for anyone else who may have got the USB2.0 version of this interface and is having any sort of similar problems.  This might be the solution for you also.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment